This is the 128th issue of the Newsletter published by the Department of Linguistics at the University of Konstanz.
It covers informations about the plans of the members of the department in February 2019 as well as short reports abut events, presentations, etc. in January 2018.
Events at/by the Department
Department and Research Colloquium in February
|14.02.||Jim Scobbie: Fuzziness and indeterminacy around the phonetics / phonology interface|
Department and Research Colloquium in January
|10.01.||Maria Teresa Guasti (Milano-Bicocca): From language acquisition to linguistic theory: the case of clitics|
|17.01.||Nicolas Guilliot (Université Bordeaux-Montaigne) : How to share with coordination: interactions between syntax and prosody|
|24.01.||Yurie Hara: Particles and Questions in Japanese|
Conferences, Workshops and Presentations
- Andreas Trotzke will give invited talks on "Grammatik und Emotion: Pragmatische Evidenz für eine neue Theorie der Exklamative" at Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz on February 8th, and on "Nothing special about exclamatives!" at CNRS-IKER/Bayonne on February 12th.
- George Walkden is giving an invited talk at ConSOLE 2019 in Berlin on February 21st, with the title “Parataxis and hypotaxis: formal and empirical perspectives”.
- George Walkden gave two talks in Oslo in January: one with the title “Rich agreement and the stability of V2 in early English: some problems” at the workshop Secrets of Success on January 11th, and one with the title “Proto-Indo-European: a language without Merge?” for the Language Change seminar on January 15th.
- Natasha Korotkova gave an invited talk at the Formal Linguistics Research Group seminar at Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, on January 17th.
- Liliane Haegeman and Andreas Trotzke gave a talk on "PP-internal particles in Dutch as evidence for PP-internal discourse structure" at Saarland University, Saarbrücken on January 21st.
- Regine Eckardt took part in a workshop on Narrativität ('narrativity'),
organized by Prof. Zeman at Berlin on January 25th. The presentations will be made available as a special issue of the Zeitschrift für Germanistische Linguistik.
- Christoph Schwarze gave an invited talk at the FU Berlin on "A unified analysis of French en and de" on January 30th.
- Constantin Freitag and Josef Bayer presented a poster with the title "Coping with Verb Placement in German: The View from Sencond Language Acquisition" at the final conference of the AThEME project Multilingualism across the lifespan - opportunities and challenges for the european citizen in Brussels, Belgium on January 31st.
The AThEME Final Conference „Multilingualism across the lifespan. Opportunities & Challenges for the European Citizen“ took place on January 31st in Brussels. Members from our department (and the Department of Sociology) that were involved in the 5-year project presented and discussed the final outcomes about multilingualism from different perspectives together with other AThEME researchers, policy makers and stakeholders.
Our congratulations to Fernanda Barrientos, who has been granted a YERUN Research Mobility Award to visit the University of Essex in 2019!
As part of a deepening cooperation between Konstanz and the University of Moratuwa in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Miriam Butt and her group were able to secure DAAD funding for an international spring school on Advanced Language Engineering to be held in Colombo from March 11th to March 25th, 2019. More information on the spring school can be found here.
Lecturers from Konstanz include Miriam Butt, Annette Hautli-Janisz, Tanja Kupisch and Jessica Zipf. The school is co-organized by Gihan Dias and Sarves Kengatharaiyer of the University of Moratuwas. Sarves spent a semester in Konstanz as a doctoral student last year.
Publications by Members of the Department
- Bögel, Tina, Yousefi, Saeed Reza and Mirdehghan, Mahinnaz. 2018. Vafsi Oblique Pronouns: Stress-related placement patterns. In Proceedings of the LFG18 conference, pp. 88-108. Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications.
Acquisitions of the Library
|Zhao, Jin: Wissenschaftsdiskurse Kontrastiv|
|Polinsky, Maria: Heritage Languages and their Speakers|
|Kleinschmidt-Schinke, Katrin: An die Schüler/-innen gerichtete Sprache (SgS)|
|Bybee, Joan L.: Language Change|
|Eichler, Nadine: Code-Switching bei Bilingual Aufwachsenden Kindern|